Monday, August 16, 2010

End of Summer Days

Happy Almost End of Summer!

It's almost that time of year again.  It is time to begin the gradual switch back to our normal schedule.  That includes gradually changing my childrens' bedtime from 11pm to 8:30pm, reducing the "cold treats", throwing away the candy, and reinstating any other rules that I allowed to slide because the Vitamin D boost from the sun and that lake breeze relaxed me a little too much.  It is time to increase reading time and make a list of back-to-school items.   Well,  at least I have purchased new sneakers for my children --- thank you fellow yogini Debbie for reminding me about this task as well as the footwear store sales :-). 

For the 6th summer in a row we joined the local paddling club, Maskwa Aquatic Club.  What this means is that we spent almost every day outdoors on the lake, on the beach, in the water, and in the sun.  As we take advantage of almost every fair weather day, I usually anticipate the end of the season with a feeling of satisfaction --- and relief!!   The sun can be really draining you know!!  Oh, how I miss the cool crisp air of the Autumn season, the lack of insect life, no beach sand in the mudroom, no beach sand in the suv, no beach sand pebbles on the basement bathroom floor (A-U-S-T-I-N!!!!), not having to hose the childrens' feet and sandals off before they enter the house, feeling frustration over the one who made it past me, no children complaining of bug bites, not applying calamine lotion on bug bites, and no children begging for change to spend at the canteen.  Actually, some of the improved and expanded canteen options impressed me this year.  We purchased plenty of bagels with cream cheese when we didn't feel like making sandwiches at home.  They even had herbal tea!!   I enjoyed green tea and peppermint tea on a couple of occasions.

The new Maskwa clubhouse provided a venue for some new events.  Who would have ever thought you could get an afternoon tea (thanks again Debbie), mini-pedicure (thanks Mary), or take Yoga classes (with moi) at Maskwa?   Teaching yoga at Maskwa provided me with the opportunity to practice Karma Yoga --- the path of selfless action.  I wish to thank Renee the Club manager as well as the Maskwa Yoginis and the Yoga Kids for getting me off the beach chair and onto my mat! 

I will really miss the feeling of serenity that always seems to melt down on me every time I gaze out over the beautiful waters of Kearney Lake.   An even greater feeling of serenity will melt all over me on September 2nd after I drop off my three children at school.  In the past I would usually spend the day catching up on shopping, but this year I will be attending YOGA CLASSES of course.  I plan to attend my favorite classes that I couldn't get to this summer.  Hot Yoga, Power Yoga, Ashtanga Yoga, Vinyasa Flow -- wait I teach that one.  JM my Ashtanga teacher probably thinks I've fallen off the face of the earth.  

Speaking of yoga (like -- when am I not speaking of it), this weekend I will be at the Omega Institute for Holistic Studies in Rhinebeck, NY, to attend the Being Yoga Conference.  I am looking forward to fresh, organic vegetarian meals, yoga workshops, fresh air, relaxation, and fresh, organic vegetarian meals.  Did I mention that I heard the food is really healthy?  I will set an intention to let go of my fears, deepen my personal practice, and gather wisdom from the experienced teachers.  The only serious decision I will have to make is whether to sleep in or attend the 4-6am Sadhana (deep meditation). 

Being Yoga.  Living my Yoga.  Pure and Free :-).

Namaste,

Kathryn