Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A new consciousness

I unearthed a life-changing discovery at the bookstore last weekend.  Audio books.  I could sense the receptors in my brain light up along with my eyes when I saw them.   Of course I love reading and holding a solid book in my hands, but with an audio book I can absorb knowledge while doing other things!  I scanned the cds on the shelf while contemplating listening to books while driving to work.   I eventually chose to purchase a lecture, or rather, a taped recording of an "intensive".   If you are wondering what an "intensive" is, you are not alone as the author spent over one minute near the beginning of his three hour intensive considering this and pondering why we "humans" need to attach names to everything  :-). I purchased the audio intensive/lecture/workshop, as I have already read his first book, and I deduced that the author combined ideas and thoughts from all of his books into the intensive, so I could save even more time (and money!) by listening to the intensive rather than multiple books. 

On the way to work this morning I listened to my new cd.  Initially, I was in awe of myself and my wonderful idea.  Then the irony of listening to a lecture about "presence" while driving became apparent. Of course, safe driving was my priority so I was not continuously and fully present and attentive to the words.  The irony of listening to a lecture about "presence" while not being fully present and on the way to teach a  yoga class where I was about to instruct students to let go of their thoughts and inhale deeply into the present moment was not lost on me.  In fact, I literally laughed out loud at this irony.  I quickly decided that missing a few words was of no consequence as I can rewind and when I have finished listening to the two cds I will start from the beginning again.  Receiving something is better than nothing.

My own humble human imperfections and experiences allow me to connect more deeply with my students and together we journey on the same path of awakening to our inner spirits and becoming one in mind, body and spirit.   Are we not all on the same journey?  We are in different stages and rates of progression, but we all come from and will return to the same source. 

Somewhere between the last several yoga classes that I taught and a couple that I practiced I had another major revelation -- the answer to my question:  What do people want when they come to yoga class?   Some practitioners wish to just relax and reduce their stress, others intend to increase muscle strength and tone, burn calories and/or increase flexibility and still others come to class hoping to find relief from chronic conditions and other health problems.  Teaching an all-inclusive class can be tricky at times, but I believe I have found a common denominator.

We all come to yoga class to learn.   The motivating factor may be physical, and we definitely learn the physical asana practice, but beneath the exterior we also learn on a mental and spiritual level.  Once we step on our mat and take our first slow, deep breath, we open ourselves up to take in whatever the universe has to offer.  When we deepen and slow our breath we slow our thoughts and relinquish our fears and other emotional blocks.  Allowing our breath to guide us inward, we tap into our divine consciousness, and discover inner peace.

It is a privilege to experience a yoga class from the front of the studio by leading others into practice.   When I open my eyes to observe the practitioners during our opening meditation, I can see exactly what author Eckhart Tolle and other spiritual teachers have described.   There is a new consciousness arising out of the old.  I see souls searching for a deeper existence and meaning to their lives.   I see them looking for the answers deep within themselves.

When you come to your mat, you step onto the path of awakening to your true nature, the self, which is the divine spirit that exists within you. 

You have a choice to make.  Are you in, or are you out?

The divine light within me, bows to the divine light within you.
Namaste, 

Kathryn