Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Growth

Recently I spent nine days out of town for some advanced Yoga teacher training.  We started each day at 6:30am with meditation and continued with asana and learning until 6:30pm, with breakfast and lunch breaks.  As I tend to be slightly introverted at times, and have been "master of my domain" for years and years, it was a different experience for me to co-exist with several adults while sharing amenities and house duties, but I learned some valuable lessons, both on and off my mat.

My first challenge came about 2 hours into training on the first day, when the teacher announced that we were going to practice handstand.  Fear entered my mind and I sensed my throat and upper chest tighten immediately as I bravely raised my hand and announced, "I don't practice handstand."   However,  I was not alone and so we first practiced a modified version with our legs parallel to the ground and feet on a wall.  After building confidence I finally planted my hands on the ground and with a little assistance (okay a lot of assistance) was able to kick my legs upward against the wall.  What an exhilarating feeling!!!!   I love practicing headstand, however I discovered that handstand allowed a greater sense of ... FREEDOM!

It has been said that every time we practice asana,  we relive every emotional and physical pain that we have experienced in our lives, and we take it out of us.  This happened to me on a more deeper level than ever before.  I found myself reliving childhood fears even after the supper hour while we interacted with one another, and learned some important things about myself.  I drafted some positive mantras for myself to reflect on while in meditation so that I may learn from my experiences and move further on my path of healing and spiritual growth.

I have faith in my wisdom and abilities.  I listen to those that acknowledge them.
I surround myself with positive energies that guide, strengthen and empower me.
I use my kindness and compassion to serve others while they journey towards inner peace.
When faced with negativity and opposition I remain true to my inner spirit. 

Last night I taught a private yoga class and included some new techniques that I learned from my recent training.   It was relieving to resume my role as teacher after being a student for so many days. The positive feedback that I received affirmed that I am truly on the right path, and that as long as I continue to follow and open my heart to any possibility, nothing is impossible.

Namaste,

Kathryn